Sunday, October 22, 2006

Charting the Course

I have been stalling the beginning of my rewrite for my memoirs. Anything and everything was an excuse to begin another day.

I did however manage to go to Staples and purchase a 3 ring binder, (maroon) paper punch, highlighters, packs of paper and a new cartridge for the laser printer.
I even printed out every story double spaced and placed them in chronological order of a sort and placed them in the 3 ring binder.

A beautifully written blessing was sent along I could place inside the binder by SerenityTide.

I then brought the package to my shrink and received her blessing.

Was I ready to start? Should have been, but nope.

The excuses began rolling in...

1. Jury Duty
2. Jury Trial
3. Cold or Allergies
4. Dinners I had to accept (yeh,right)
5. Sleepless nights
6. TV I just couldn't miss (never mind I have TIVO)

You name it, I always came up with a reason to begin "tomorrow."

Until today.

Last night GoMama called and we commiserated about writing, blah, blah, blah.
I casually mentioned that I had taken her advice and gone to Staples and did this and that and I now had this "entity" sitting on my desk.
She was taken by suprise. I said that I had emailed her a week or so ago to tell her of the first steps taken. She said she hadn't received any email, but that this was indeed big news (I found out this morning I had sent it to the wrong address).
What she said next struck a chord.
"You did it." "You finished the chart."
"You fu-king finished the chart Jennfier had us do at the workshop in Portland!"

Hmmmm...

This morning, as I was cleaning the dog hair and what seemed like hundreds of copies of various stories printed, out of my computer studio, I came across the chart.

There it was, rolled up and creased from traveling back to Connecticut with all the stickies I had placed there. 12 points on an astrological chart with each sector representing what I wanted to write- the events, the characters in my life, and the final stickie, what I hoped to acheive by writing.
It was all there. I really had done it.

The very last stickie on the chart startled me.
It said simply, "I am happy."

So today I will begin the rewrite. Happy but scared.
I promise myself.

15 Comments:

Blogger The Geezers said...

Great news!

Good luck with the revision. Blog aabout it once in a while so we can peer in over your shoulder.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Shelly said...

You rock, Suzy. You define prolific writer!

I realized in this last workshop that I had completed the first draft of my circle too. Drawing the circle itself had taken me 3 scraps of poster paper. Geometry. Dividing up the pie. Ugh. Funny. I know I have my circle stories done. Yet, the circle poster itself is folded in a little corner of my overcrowded bedroom. I know exactly where it is. But I've yet to open it again. Almost afraid to acknowledge the first draft of the product. Cheers to you for opening yours, and your heart and your mind and for your determination as you keep going.

Blog post is great. I am happy you are happy!!!

5:53 PM  
Blogger Ask Me Anything said...

Look back at your description of "Identity Crisis" and where you are right now! You have defined your identity so gorgeously and yet, have risen above it so courageously. I hope you are proud as well as happy. You should be.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Girl said...

Even though we are still fighting, I'm going to be on your case this week to write, write, write...

10:45 PM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

....and legions will thank you for being so brave and taking on your assignment.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Michelle is right about the legions, Suzy.

Oh, bless you. Bless your writing. Bless your courage and your smarts and your laughter.

Love your writing. Love you. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Stop reading this. Go write!

8:51 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

All my favorite people said it best before me. They just forgot this one part, "Who do I love???" AND, "Who am I SO proud of????"

9:56 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

GoMama is so funny . . . and so right! Congrats and good luck with the rewrite Suzy!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

Well, aren't I the last to know!

As I said to you Suzy P, I'm so f-ing proud of you! You did it. You really did it.

You can do this rewrite. The hard part is already done. Now just go in and add the set dressing...the details, the self-reflection...the Pafka-ess.

Go girl.

4:05 PM  
Blogger serenity said...

Go Suzy Go!!!

Please know that you are lifted and supported and encouraged and appreciated.

Go Suzy Go!!!

8:41 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

yay! good luck! we're all rooting for you.

4:00 PM  
Blogger riversgrace said...

Suzy, what an inspiration. Just fresh from Jennifer's weekend workshop in Portland, I'm walking around with my own chart in my head. So nice to know others in the 'circle' have made it across to the other shore.

1:50 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Wow Suz!!!!! And to think, seven months ago all you had written was your name! I am so impressed. You are truly an inspiration! Love you.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Ask Me Anything said...

By the by...while you're doing the damn rewrite, you still need to be giving your faithful readers something. Get on it!

8:39 AM  
Blogger jennifer said...

YES! YOU ROCK!!!

Love isn't big enough...what is big enough is your courage...you are not stalling...you are marinating. Steven King says to let a draft sit for three months.

You are stewing and guess what, you are a writer!!

1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home